Monday, May 16, 2011

A Trip I'll Remember

I told Holly before I left, "It's kind of going to suck, but I'm excited I'm going to get to knit lace." I know. I know. Go ahead and laugh. It's true though. Although I love it, knitting lace with a toddler and another almost toddler is out while at home. It, along with breakfast with Katie and chillin' with Gram, was the upside to an otherwise lame reason for a get-out-of-town trip.

I spent longer figuring out which pattern to bring than I deciding what to wear. When I came across the pattern notes that read, "Knitting lace is good for the soul." That settled it. I cast on Jared Flood's Rock Island.

I don't know if it was so much the lace or getting to see my friend Wendy, but it turned out to be true.

My trip was good for my soul.

They say that people come in and out of your life and leave nothing. And others...You're never the same. Wendy is like that. Everything she says is quotable. Inspirational without sounding trite or preachy. Puffy from the Prednisone, but otherwise exactly the same and freaken' funny.

She tried to stay off the oxygen as long as possible during lunch. I don't know who she felt she needed to be tough for- me or her, but at any rate, she starts to get tired and has a harder time retrieving the right words. "Damn! I've always prided myself in being such a smart ass!"

With that, she headed to her room to rest and get back on her oxygen. I sat on the bench at the foot of her bed while we gossiped and caught up. The hospice nurse came by and I got to see what a tough girl act she puts on.

Wendy was my nursing mentor. When I walk into a situation thinking, "Aww, hell! Now what?" It's "what would Wendy do?" When she tells you to "Be Good" she doesn't necessarily mean 'follow all the rules'. She means, "Be Good."

This Thursday she is going to be honored at a fancy-shmancy dinner banquet for a lifetime of humanitarian service. She's handled approaching death with more grace than anyone I've ever seen and she's an example of what it means to practiced what you preach. I'm so proud of her.  Proud to have known her. And proud to have called her my friend.



"You take that great big heart of yours out into the world and do some good. I love you. Give your kiddos a hug."

1 comment:

cambridgeclan said...

That one brought tears. I am so glad you made the trip to see your friend!

Blog Archive