Friday, September 10, 2010

Lesson learned

I will not make reference to her curls and you won't reference the fact that there are no pictures. Deal?

It's early. Really early Friday morning. It's been a long week and it's not over by a long shot. When I woke up I was relieved to see that I still have another five hours before I need to be awake for good. Did I already tell you it's been a long week and it's not over yet? Yuck. Nothing major- just the little bits of here and there and having to be everywhere that chip away at time leaving your sleepy and relieved that it's only 12:58am the first time you'll be awake tonight. 

I have to be in an all-day computer training today and I hate it. Lefty is giving me fits, plugged duct you know. Insurance customer non-service and I are on the outs again. Retraction. What a stupid process! The carpets were shampooed and have already been broken in.  (i.e. pee!) Scrunch is two and a half going on seventeen and a half. That half makes such a huge difference in attitude. Porkchop gets his stent, one of the last steps in the pre-surgical stint today, and I can't be there. My children seem to get exponentially more expensive and we're hunkering down for the financial blows.

I'm tired and cranky and might have been more so had something tragic not happened to people I care about this week. The kind of thing that leaves you feeling sick to your stomach and without the appropriate thing to say. All you can say is it totally sucks. It has left me thinking. And while their loss is so not about me and how it relates to my life, I re-learned a lesson. Life is not fair. Everyone has trials. Even the word 'trials' sounds trite and leaves a throw-up taste. Some have more than their share and are of the kind that don't make any sense. I don't think everyone's trials are necessarily just for them. Not fair. Sometimes they are for the rest of us to learn something from. Even more unfair. But when something happens that snaps your head into perspective so fast it gives you whiplash, then maybe that's the only good that can come from it.

That's what I got this week. A huge dose of perspective. There is nothing I can do or say that will make it better or even make it make any sense. The only thing I can do is be a better mom, better wife, and better person than I was the day before and be a whole lot less cranky, tired, or annoyed with things that in the grand scheme don't matter.

1 comment:

Angela N said...

My pain and discomfort took a backseat yesterday as well when I heard the news. I am heartbroken for them. Your right, life is definitely not fair.

Blog Archive