Monday, November 14, 2011

A wise man passed along some words of wisdom through a friend.

"A woman has one of two problems in this life. She either has children, or she doesn't."

And Boy! Ain't that the truth!

In the same week that Porkchop had the stomach flu, an ear infection, and teething right into his cleft, I started working from home. Both a blessing and curse. I wanted to flip out. And blog. I could tell you a story or two about my vericose hooha veins and lack of sleep, but I also finished listening to The Dovekeepers that week and was reminded (as I folded my laundry while these women crossed the Dead Sea) that I could have it so much worse. That my life is easy.

I know I'm not the only mom among my friends who walks the line between "keeping it real" and constantly moaning and kavetching over the little realities of life. I am still baffled by the amount of my capacities that are consumed by cleaning up poop. Who knew there would be so much poop?!

Over the weekend I learned of the passing of two acquaintance's children, one at twenty weeks and the other four years old. I felt sick and wanted to cry. Both for their loss but also because I was a beast trying to get ready for church on Sunday morning to the extent that my sister reminded me it actually was a rarity for even tigers to eat their young. I cried for their loss, but also in guilt for my ingratitude.

As I sat in Relief Society I felt it hit home. The universal truth. This life is a preparatory state where we are called to endure trials at different times and of different magnitudes so that we may learn those things that will be essential to our salvation. Who knew that the summation of these trials as a woman would fall into one of two categories. You either have children, or you don't.  

No comments:

Blog Archive