Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quotes

I have read some things lately that have made me really stop and think. And stop and think about cross stitching or embroidering them or having them tattooed somewhere. But there is only so much time/space for another embroidered pillow. I can't do wall to wall wooden vinyl signs. Well, I could.. but we'll just say I can't. I thought I'd share two of my favorites. Mostly so I can come back, read them again, and think some more.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"We restore, rebuild, and make whole those parts which nature hath given, but which fortune has taken away. Not so much that it may delight the eye, but that it might buoy up the spirit, and help the mind of the afflicted." - Gaspare Tagliacozzi, Father of Modern Plastic Surgery

1 comment:

[AnnieR] said...

Well, I, for one, am glad you "came out of the closet", so to speak. You should have done it earlier!

You should know, your comment made an impact on me. So often I forget the reason why I only see my husband for an hour a day at most, some times never. I try not to be resentful but the demands of his resident training seem sometimes too much to bear. I don't talk about much on my blog. I try not to at all; it's just sort of this seething resentment I carry around and it's ugly. His department head, who I blame for his absence and as a result, don't care for, read this aloud at a function and it brought me to tears. All of a sudden, it was made clear to me how important his work was and if his absence from our family actually did what this quote said it did, to buoy up the spirit and help the mind of the afflicted, then it it's all worth it. But then to read your comment, coming from the mother of a surgical patient, it just sort of drove it all home for me and I totally needed to hear it when I did, as I was nearing the end of my rope. So thank you for speaking up; you have no idea what your comment did for me.

Blog Archive