Saturday, December 6, 2008

When?

I have a theory about raising kids (my kid) that time is a grown-up thing. We love routines. Hate schedules.

I wake up (hopefully at least three minutes before Scrunch does.) Put in one load of laundry. Make a bottle. We eat breakfast. We bath. We play. We nap. She naps, Mom blogs or cleans. Mostly blogs. Then we do lunch. Then we play/shop/knit/go to the park/whatever. Then we may or may not nap again. Then we do dinner. Then we eat dinner. We bath again. Then we play/read/cuddle. Then we go to bed.

This goes on pretty much everyday. Whether she takes her nap at 9 or 11, I don't care. I prefer 9:45, but it's up to her. I don't believe in making babies cry for things that they need so when she's hungry she eats, when she's tired she sleeps. I don't think I'm some parenting guru, but I'll tell you what, there's no feeling bad about not keeping to a schedule when there is no schedule. We have a routine. She knows her routine and it's worked. Time is a grown-up thing.

When will she take her nap today? When will she go to bed? When will she walk?

I don't know. Just know that it'll happen.

I was thinking that maybe God agrees with me. He doesn't really follow our self-imposed schedules either.

Like, have all your kids by the time you're thirty 08/06/2014.
Or buy a McMansion two point five years after graduation 06/15/09.

Stuff like,

When will we put our Adoption paperwork again? When (if ever) will I be pregnant? When will we buy a house?

Just like how my kid does not know what it means when mommy says "just a minute", God does not follow my time lines (Dangitt!!). And just like I know that at some point, the day will end and we will all be sleeping cozy in our beds, there will be a time when these things will happen for us. I've just got to remember that time is a grown-up thing.

2 comments:

Melissa and Michael said...

That is a really good idea. One of my college professors told us that during the break we needed to do exactly that. Eat when we are hungry and sleep when we are tired laugh when we think of something funny. I did it and I felt so much better about life. I was happier and felt healthier cause I didn't stress all night about when I needed to get up. Dont you with your boss thought like that too?

cambridgeclan said...

I need to remember this more often. Even Andrew doesn't really have a concept of time unless he looks at a clock. Life is so much better when you don't have the clock rule your life.

Blog Archive