Monday, July 27, 2009

Utterly Domestic

I made a goal a few weeks ago that I would make something utterly domestic every week. Which is how I ended up canning. Last week it was tortillas. I have one of these now.

Thanks Flickr!

I am totally sold. I never want to buy tortillas again! That may have something to do with having to drive a round trip total of at least 45 minutes. For tortillas? Nuh uh. Not worth it.

Nothing goes better with fresh tortillas than my mother's salsa and guacamole. But something from my mother's kitchen may have rubbed off on me. I only know how to make salsa in ginormous proportions. (i.e. enough to fill a bathtub. Our master bathtub.)

This week? Using leftovers. I hate leftovers. So does my husband. But I think it is written into the regulations of domesticity that you must be willing and able to use leftovers. Totally lame. But if those are the rules, what can you do?

Monday: Grilled Steak and Cheese Quesadillas with leftover guacamole, Strawberry Lemonade If you make this lemonade I need to warn you. You will thank me, but you will think, "I used to pay $3.00 a refill for this stuff." And then you will think, "I must be saving enough to buy a new pair of shoes." And the you will find, buy, and justify these boots- all because you're saving by making your own lemonade.

Tuesday: Salsa Roast Potatoes, Grilled Garlic Chicken

Wednesday: By now I will need a break from salsa and tortillas. Sesame Ginger Spinach Salad

Thursday:I think Mexican Mozzarella is a great substitution for Swiss cheese. And I still can't face more tortillas. Chicken Cordon Bleu, Rice

Friday: Homemade Sopes with Fresh Cream, Beans

Saturday: Fair Food. Mmmmm... jalapeno nachos and a corn dog. Maybe a funnel cake. Or two.

And we made it. By now whatever is left will see itself down the disposal.

Sunday: French Toast with strawberries

1 comment:

Marti said...

Now I am hungry for your mom's salsa and guacamole. They are teh best!! And yes homemade torilla's are the best :)

Blog Archive