Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Tale of Woe

For two days I have weakly attempted to hold off the fatigue that comes with flu symptoms. I REFUSE to be sick. I have a teething baby. One sickie per family makes the quota. Each night I have crashed on the couch only within minutes of Scrunch going to bed. This is where my tale begins.

While cuddling and reading stories in the tent before bed, I fell asleep on the floor of the tent. I woke up to the resounding smack across my cheek from Scrunch. We have been working on "soft on mommy's face". It seems though, she may have been coming to my rescue. In the ten minutes that I lay there I was brutally attacked by a spider or other biting insect. Dime sized welts covered my face and arms. Within a few minutes, the allergic response including rash and fever and uncontrollable itching began. Normally one would reach for the bottle of Tylenol and diphenhydramine (generic for Benadryl) but I am in the category of people that don't take OTC medications. Seriously. I am allergic to IBU profen. It was too early/late for me to call my homeopathic friend for a remedy, so I lay on the bed with my arms crossed trying not to scratch and listening to Scrunch's breathing, ALL NIGHT LONG. (At what age do you stop listening for your child's breathing during the night?) This morning, the headache set in. Is it more flu symptoms or lack of sleep?

Scrunch had a restless night as well. She is still asleep as I type this, and hopefully will remain so until I can gather the strength and energy to haul myself off the couch.

Oh, and husband was called in for jury duty. Figures.

Does it sound like I'm complaining? I am. I am very aware that things could be much, much worse. Trust me. All TOO aware. But you've got to remember....I am a pampered, yuppy, housewife. This IS as bad as it gets on a Tuesday.

I see pajamas, Jell-o, Sing-a-long Songs, and knitting in my immediate future. Rough life.

6 comments:

mousemovie said...

This is why I always taught you that sleeping in tents is a dangerous proposition and best left to others…

grandma/mom said...

I really hope you are felling better. Allergic reactions can be bad.

grandma/mom said...

Well my comments seem to vanish into cyber space. I hope you are watching for any more allergic reactions.
They can be serious. Carolyn
I have probably written 2 comments now:)

Natster said...

feel better chica. :) Thinking of you.

Lisa said...

I would definitely keep an eye on those bites and monitor your symptoms. Some things will not go away if left untreated. I hope you feel better soon!

P.S. I, too, have been battling a little cold, and am feeling the fatigue. (Or is it that I've been up insanely late the past three nights knitting? Dunno.) Either way, it's catching up to me, and I'm throwing in the towel tonight. Good night!

Holly said...

Yikes. Does it make you feel better if I tell you that our washing machine flooded our brand new carpet yesterday.. still a swamp today even though shop vac supposedly sucked up the water with a high power floor fan going. So tonight after getting home from a day full of errands still swampy carpet..so called out someone to come and suck up water again, replace the brand new padding and make my new carpet look new all over again. Looks like Tuesday officially blows for two of us yuppy housewives.

Blog Archive