Sunday, March 1, 2009

Busy as I want to be.

Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss' birthday. And since he is on the list of top 50 people who will influence my child's first year, we are going to celebrate. I have made Cat in the Hat hats (pics tomorrow) and plan on serving Green Eggs and Ham for dinner. Sorry, honey. Bring home a pizza if you don't dig it. In the mean time I will leave you with a little poem for the week. Yes, I like poetry. Especially sappy poetry. Surprised? Somehow I thought you might be. Are you even more surprised to hear that I used to write it? For fun?!?!? And you thought you knew me.

Mother, O mother, come shake out your cloth!
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up the bed
.........Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
.........She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking!

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
..........(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
..........(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
..........Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.)

Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby. Babies don't keep.

~~~~Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

No comments:

Blog Archive