Monday, June 23, 2008

The Meanest Mom

She might be a little nuts and we remind her of it on a regular basis, but my mom is pretty cool. She raised four girls who were all VERY close in age and we all turned out pretty okay, but only because she prided herself on being the "MEANEST MOM IN THE WORLD!" She was pretty easy going growing up and there weren't TOO many rules, but then I turned 13. And then she became the meanest mom in the world. She wouldn't let me do certain things, go certain places, hang out with certain people and I reminded her over the next few years (on a regular basis) that she was the meanest mom in the world.

I thought about that a few weeks ago while going shopping with some friends. It was hot and as we drove by a youth sponsored car wash, I was shocked at what I saw. VERY scantily clad young girls beckoning to passersby in the most provocative manners to get their car washed. Now I'm no prude, but even I was a little shocked and uncomfortable. These girls weren't even old enough to drive. Then I remembered what it was like to be that age. I probably would have tried to get away with wearing certain things and acting a certain way during some rebellious years, but I had the meanest mom in the world. I just shook my head as we drove past and said, "how am I going to teach my daughter that THAT is not okay?" That's when my friend piped up and said "You're going to be the meanest mom in the world." Yup. That's exactly what I want to hear from my Little Miss between the ages of 13 and 17. YOU ARE THE MEANEST MOM IN THE WOLRD! And then I'll know I'm doing my job.

2 comments:

Crazy Me... said...

I will remind you of that when you call in tears the first time Kensley calls you mean... :)

northslopegang said...

Yeah!! mean old moms club!! Just ask my girls they'll tell ya that I belong. I would guess that they would also tell you that I am a member of the the "Yell and Scream at ya" club too!!

Blog Archive