Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Prayer In Your Heart

One of my favorite books is Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. by Judy Blume. I don't remember the first time I read it, but I must have been in fourth or fifth grade. And I have read it a few times since. Maybe it's because I related with her deepest desire to fill her bra. And as the reigning president of Itty-Bitty-Titty Committee, I can relate. "We must, we must, we must increase our bust" would still be chanted at my house if I thought it would help. But really... there are some thought provoking themes running through the book such as religion, sexual development, and interpersonal relationships. It's very short, elementary school reading level, and I recommend it to anyone.

One of my favorite aspects of the book is the way that she talks to God. She begins every prayer in the same way. Are you there God? It's Me Margaret. I love it. And probably ever since I read the book, I picked up the habit of talking to God in this way throughout my day. It doesn't take the place of more formal, reverent prayers, it's just something I do. I noticed it today. And not in a disrespectful manner, but I can often tell how tired I'll be at the end of the day based on the number of silent prayers that have been muttered up to the heavens.

More Work = More Crazies = More Silent Prayers

As an insight to my day, I will share with you a few of my 'Silent Prayers'.

Please don't let me run out of gas in the middle of nowhere.
Please let that woman be passed out drunk in the doorway and not dead.
Please don't let a cockroach climb in my bag.
Please, oh please, don't let that itching on my left leg be from fleas.
Please, oh please let my car be there when I'm done here.

I would get another job, but nothing makes you more grateful for your life and puts what really matters into perspective until you have a day where you're just glad you don't have to pick up Borax and Calamine on your way home and your car is still parked where you left it.

Blog Archive