Monday, April 7, 2008

When I Grow Up

When Little Miss grows up I hope she tells us she wants to be a magician. Magicians don't get sued. Doctors, nurses, teachers, even waitresses...THEY get sued. Either that or she can be a toll booth worker like on While You Were Sleeping. I don't think they get sued either.

On my way home from my appt. this morning I stopped at Trader Joe's. I love check-out line conversations. They cover the spectrum of randomness.
Very friendly neighborhood checker asked "so, typical Monday morning for ya'?"
Me- (laughing to myself) "Not really"
Checker- "So what's different about today?"
Me- "I don't usually meet with attorneys to give a deposition." Usually on Monday mornings I wash diapers.
Checker- "Oh." And a very I'm sorry I asked look.

Attorneys tick me off. I'd rather wash diapers any day than deal with them. Over the last year I have become more acquainted with the practice of law than I ever wanted to be and one of the things I've learned is that no one ever wins but the attorney. A few other things I've learned are that you want the meanest SOB you can afford, who drives a nice car and wears expensive suits. And you don't want the guy you're up against to have a better dressed nicer-car-driving attorney than you've got.

By the way, I'm not in trouble. I just happened to be on call in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only thing worse than attorneys is their money grubbing, fortune seeking clients.

No comments:

Blog Archive