Thursday, July 3, 2008

C'est mon anniversaire!

As the language of love and romance it's only fitting that I tell you it's my anniversary in French! Cinc ans. Five years. That's half a decade. We have both come a long way in these few years both individually and as a couple. We've put each other through school, moved eight times, got 'grown up' jobs, and are now raising our little girl. It's been a good ride and if I had to do it over again- I totally would! Now comes the part where I give you all this marital advice and my tips to a happy, successful marriage (which I feel we've got). But I really only have one little tidbit to share. Here goes. Get a pen. You're gonna want to write this down.

Marry a man who worships the ground you walk on.

That pretty much sums it up. Oh, and act like a wife who deserves to be worshiped. Easier said than done, but marrying the right person at the right time is the number one. If you're married to the wrong person you're pretty much up a creek. And I'm not saying that I believe in "The One" or you can't make a marriage work, it's just harder that way.

Now we're to the part where I tell you why my husband is the perfect spouse and all the reasons I love him. Well, I already mentioned it. Are you not reading closely? He worships the ground I walk on. What's not to love about that? But seriously, my husband is the perfect spouse because he WANTS to be a good spouse, not because he himself is perfect. He is also patient, kind, honest to the point of embarrassing his wife at times (like during Red Cross questionnaires, and no I will not be telling you the story), wicked smart, handsome, hard-working, did I already mention patient, sweet, affectionate, and an awesome Papa. I do have to also mention the fact that he doesn't say a word about my yarn, always compliments me even when I look like death wormed over, and he reads my blog and still finds me sexy.

The last two years have been somewhat emotionally charged and trying, especially for me, but he never- not for a fraction of a millisecond- made me feel like less of a woman or wife because my woman parts wouldn't work. As a woman (especially of the LDS faith) broken woman parts can shake you up, and he has been my strength and comfort through it all. I don't know if I would say I'm grateful for our trials, but I can say that I'm grateful to have had John with me through it all. At a point when we thought that it could possibly be just the two of us for the rest of our lives, we would have been okay. We like each other that much. I am thankful however for the solid foundation I feel like we've established before we invited little ones into the mix. A solid, loving marriage will be one of the greatest gifts we can give to Little Miss.

So, it is only natural that I would think that we are the coolest couple ever! I am the coolest wife ever because for our anniversary I have agreed to go on a 31-mile backpacking trip in Yosemite in September- something I have been promising we'd do. And he is the coolest husband ever because he is taking me to the rodeo. Oh, yes. The rodeo. Complete with Mutton Bustin' and everything. See because for me, my husband would take me to the rodeo, even when I know he'd rather go try on backpacks at REI.

I love you, babe!

6 comments:

John said...

I love you TOO!! Bring on the next five years!! They will be fun, exciting and fulfilling.

If you think that we have done a lot in the past five years, you haven't seen nothin' yet.

Love you!!!!

Marti said...

Happy Anniversary! We have fond memories of your wedding day and reception. Love--texas bunch

needlenut said...

I am right there with you on having a great husband who loves and respects me and treats me wonderful.

Grandma S

northslopegang said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Good Marriages are made from great people working together. Sounds like you have it. Have fun celebrating.

Danasty said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!! The cool thing about John, is we didn't need the blog to know he worships the ground you walk on, everyone can see it if they've ever spent any time with you!--Christa

cambridgeclan said...

happy day. Are you taking little miss on your hike? Congratulations on a happy 5 years.

Blog Archive