Friday, July 25, 2008

I am a crappy feminist.

I adore my child. But let's face it. The conversation skills of a six month old child (even the cutest baby in the universe) are somewhat limited. In order to not lose my mind and not baby talk my way through life, I enjoy reading things that make me stop and think. I have a couple in my link list. One, by it's very title I know makes some women, especially LDS women uncomfortable. That is precisely why I like it. I thought that if anyone was going to be a Mormon Feminist Housewife it would be me. I love the idea of a feminist housewife. There is an entire movement of women shifting into this role throughout American society and it is awesome to see! It sounds like an oxymoron but the concept of 'I can be anything I want to be and I CHOOSE to be a mom' is what feminism is all about. To the bra burning feminists, I am a crappy feminist.

So, fine. I'm a crappy feminist.
  • I am a crappy feminist because I have no problem whatsoever with the fact that men hold the Priesthood and women do not.
  • I am a crappy feminist because I recognize that there are differences among the sexes. Not good bad, better, or worse- just differences and recognizing those differences makes you stronger as a woman.
  • I am a crappy feminist because I love Dr. Laura.
  • I am a crappy feminist because I TRY to vacuum and have dinner on the table when my husband gets home.
  • I am a crappy feminist because I believe that a woman's place is the home.
  • I am a crappy feminist because I don't think that getting an education prior to having a family is a waste.
  • And the number one reason I am a crappy feminist is that there is no way on the planet I would ever burn my bra. (My boobs would be totally lost without it. So lost, they'd not exist.)
Good thing I'm not really a feminist. I'm a Feminist Housewife.

3 comments:

Crazy Me... said...

I totally agree. And not to get all historical on you or anything but truly all of the points you made were the same ones the orignal "feminists" made. The feminist movement started as a way for women to be in control of ensuring that their families had the best possible opportunities. They felt that it was up to them to secure the happiness and safety of their family.

Too bad some nut jobs took it too far. Imagine all of the good feminists could do if we all focused on what was really important- the family. Yup, I fully intend on being a Ph.D holding stay at home mom! :)

northslopegang said...

I loved being a SAHM. However, I just couldn't get into the pearls and dress thing like June did on Leave it to Beaver. Thanks for helping to keep me in this century.

cambridgeclan said...

I am a SAHM feminist. I am a woman, leave me alone and let me stay at home where I love to be. I wish that more women would try it for a little while. They might be suprised how nice it is.

Blog Archive