Thursday, July 31, 2008

I broke my toe and a book review.

Well, I bashed it pretty good anyway, and I didn't even cuss. Out loud. I must be saving up all my special phrases so I can adequately describe and express my appreciation towards Utah drivers. We leave today for the blessed land of Southern Utah. It's going to be hecka hot. I hate that phrase. Hecka-this hecka-that. What the heck does it mean? It is going to be wicked hot. Now that makes sense.

Oy vey! That's when I thought after listening to The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Yeah, I know it's not on my book list, but it's a book. I don't know what I was expecting. Come on. Read the back and you know that it is not exactly going to be the Feel Good Book of the Year.

"This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins.
His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love."

See? Oy vey is right. I was warned, so what's my beef? The characters were not likeable. Except Phoebe. Dr. Henry epitomizes cowardliness, and you can't even like his wife throughout the book. The characters came off flat and you just plain don't really care what happens to them. I wasn't compelled to finish reading or deeply moved, unless you consider kicking Dr. Henry's arse movement. I'm starting to think "New York Times Best Seller" is not the endorsement one should consider when picking a good read. A little over rated but all in all it killed some time.

See some of you soon. (Which means I have to get off the computer now. Not that I'm making sense this morning anyway.)

4 comments:

Mothership said...

Hope you have a great trip to Utah, and be safe and take loads of sunsceen.

Marti said...

At least it will be a dry heat. Try 98 with 80% humitity. There is a difference, but hot is hot. Thank goodness for A/C!!

Holly said...

Maybe you shouldn't read anymore fiction. I could see the majority of novels just irritating the crap outta you. Too much sunshine shot up your butt or something...and if it isnt sunshine then its just irritating people (characters)...and they irritate you cuz most people you encounter are irritating? perhaps?? HOpefully that makes sense....you should be fluent now in what Brad calls "Hollyese".:)

Mayor of CrazyTown said...

Perhaps? That was even a question? :) Not most, but definitely a majority. And Holly-ese is a variation of Me-ese. Kind of how French, Spanish and Italian are all romantic languages. Between us and Ang we're like trilingual. :) And my dad just handed me a biography on Andrew Jackson, we'll see.

Blog Archive