Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Summer Reading

The summer between fifth and sixth grade my parents offered me a penny for every page I read. I think I made the easiest $50 bucks that summer. Yup. That is five THOUSAND pages and at eleven years old, I'd say that is one of my greatest accomplishments. Since then, my mad reading has toned down and I'm lucky if I read ten books a year. We thought not having t.v. would help, but I don't know if it has. We are proof positive that cable falls under the category of want, not need. My DSL connection however is definitely a need.

Summertime seems to be the time of reading. Everywhere you look (Ok, mostly just at Borders or Barnes and Noble, but still.) there seems to be a 'must read' list. I am succumbing to what I think is a marketing ploy because you really don't have more time to read in the summer than you do any other time of the year, but whatever. Fine. I give. I will read this summer. I'm not going to make fifty bucks, but maybe I'll hit at least 500 pages.

My goal is to either listen to or read the following by Sept. 1.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer Yes. Another way I am giving in to peer pressure. All I can say is that with all the hype, it better be good. I'm thinking of this as Jack Weyland for grown-ups and not expecting anything earth shattering.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

Queen Bees and Wannabes Rosalind Wiseman

Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen

Host by Stephanie Meyer

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

This is my fluffy book list and doesn't count my endless on-line research into whatever the heck I feel like. You really can learn a lot from the Internet, but I guess reading out of an actual book is good too. I'm having a hard time with this because now my quiet time is going to be split between reading and knitting and ask anyone in my house, when up against knitting- knitting usually wins. I asked Handsome Husband if we should consider bulking up our food storage and he asked me if we could boil down yarn into a broth and that if we could, we should be covered. He thinks he's so funny.

5 comments:

Byran and Diana said...

I just finished Twilight last week and I loved it. I think you will enjoy it too.

Holly said...

Okay I've read 4 of the 6 you have listed....all great reads...enjoy!

Elisa said...

Oh! You have great books on your list!
I LOVE the Queen Bee's & Wanna Bees! I have actually read that one 3 times-- and have sticky notes hanging out of it now! It's my parenting handbook! I think every Woman should read this book-- because this stuff doesn't stop when you leave highschool. I can look around my church group and see which roles the women are playing... Her sequel is just as riveting--Queen Bee Mom's and Kingpin Dads!!

I read Water For Elephants. It was good. Not great. Just good.

I loved what you said about Twilight being Jack Weyland for adults. I have a love/hate relationship with those books. Bella makes me crazy! She is so needy! Edward is a creepy old man trapped in kids body! I found myself wanting to hit my head with the book, chanting "why why why". I am still going to read the stupid 4th book-- sigh.


The Secret Life of Bee's is one of my favorites! I loved it when I read it.

I'm reading The Host right now. Its weird... but I'm trying.

Would love to hear what you think about these books when you're done.

Crazy Me... said...

You won't regret reading Twilight or The Host.

I LOVE them. I lend out copies to all of my students.

northslopegang said...

Good grief I just need to quit my job so I can read, sew, scrapbook.
How do we get it all in?

Blog Archive